formalmind Studio (fmStudio) is a free editor for Requirements Exchange Files (ReqIF). It is based on the open source Eclipse ProR, enhanced with Essentials, our suite of productivity enhancements for ProR. With fmStudio, you can:
- Manage requirements professionally. fmStudio supports everything you need for professional requirements management: Arbitrary attributes of requirements, linking within and across specifications and the ability to integrate seamlessly with other tools.
- Directly view and edit requirements in the ReqIF format. ReqIF is an international standard for the exchange of requirements, and is supported by many commercial requirements tools.
- Easy to get started, plenty of room for growth. You will have fmStudio up and running within minutes. As your needs grow, you can augment it with many components from the Eclipse ecosystem, like test integration or UML model tracing. As it is built on an open platform, you can also create your own extensions.
Windows users: you may need the 32-bit version, even if you have a 64-bit Windows system! The fmStudio bit-value must match your Java version. The default Java version for Windows is 32-bit, even on 64-bit Windows systems. You can check your Java version via the console, by typing java -version. If you never dealt with Java on your machine, chances are that you have the 32-bit version.
Installation is easy:
- Make sure that you have Java on your computer. Note that you will need Java 7 or better for some features to work ( download)
- Download the right version of formalmind Studio for your operating system: available in the right sidebar ().
- Create a folder on your computer in a convenient location and call it fmStudio.
- Open the downloaded .zip file and unpack it into the fmStudio folder.
- The folder contains a file called studio (or studio.exe). Double click it to launch formalmind Studio.
- The program will ask you for the workspace location. The workspace is the folder where your requirements files will be stored. Pick a convenient location.
- Tip: Create a shortcut to the launcher in a convenient place, like your desktop or start menu.
Problems or questions? Then please contact our support team.
Why formalmind Studio, and not Eclipse ProR?
formalmind Studio consists of the open source ProR requirements tool, with the ProR Essentials pre-installed. This was available before, but users had to manually install the Essentials after downloading ProR from the Eclipse foundation. We offer formalmind Studio for two reasons:
- Convenience. One download contains everything.
- Timeliness. We may include ProR features that have not yet been officially released as we are not tied to the release cycle of Eclipse.
And of course, we will continuously improve fmStudio.